You can connect the Roku media player with the external USB drive and start streaming the content available in it. Apart from content available on different channels of the Roku store, you can watch the stuff from the local sources. All the videos, images or audio files saved in the external drive can be accessed without any problem.
You might be wondering to know the steps for connecting the USB drive to the Roku 3 player. To start with the steps, connect both the devices physically with each other. Follow the instructions mentioned here as under:
How to connect the drive to the Roku 3 player?
When you unpack the Roku 3 player, you will find the USB port at the back of the device. Connect the hard drive to this port with the help of USB cable. You are required to download the interfacing app called ‘Plex’ from the Roku channel store. If the plex app is not available for downloading, you can search for its alternatives.
Now, we will discuss the steps to access the media files from the external drive and how to locate the drive from the Roku screen.
- Open home screen from the Roku remote by pressing the ‘Home’ button of it.
- Go to ‘Channel store’ and open the Drive from there.
- When you click on ‘Drive’, a list of file types available in it will be displayed. If you want to play music, click on ‘Music’.
- Select USB first followed by ‘Music’. If the single device is connected at a time, then you will get only the hard drive shortcut on the screen.
- Click to continue.
- You need to add the USB channel on the Roku from the ‘Channel’ page.
- Connect the hardware now and see if it gets detected or not.
- Go to ‘Channel’.
- All the file types as discussed earlier will be displayed only after the USB channel gets added. You can stream the videos, music or local content from an external drive.
- If you are opening a video, then click on ‘Play’ media to start watching the video.
You can connect an external hard drive of any memory size right from 8 GB to 64 GB. Roku player supports all the files and memory size. We want to mention here that when you connect the Roku 3 player to the external drive, a separate power supply is required for the Roku player to provide sufficient power. So, you can plug the adapter and connect it to the Roku player. If there is no adapter available in the packing, you can order online.